It was not uncommon for the early church to be operating in the Gifts of the Holy Spirit and I know the Gifts of the Holy Spirit will become more and more active in the lives of believers in these last days. We need more of the supernatural manifestation of the Holy Spirit personally and corporately than ever before. Let’s take a quick look at the nine manifestations of the Holy Spirit:
The nine gifts are divided into three categories of three:
- Gifts to Say (Speak or Utterance Gifts): Prophecy, Tongues and Interpretation of Tongues.
- Gifts to Know (Reveal or Revelation Gifts): the Word of Wisdom, the Word of Knowledge and the Discerning of Spirits.
- Gifts to Do (Power Gifts): The Gift of Faith, the Gifts of Healing and the Working of Miracles.
A. THE GIFT OF PROPHECY (1 Corinthians 12:10) Definition: "The Gift of Prophecy is the special ability that God gives to members of the Body of Christ to hear & speak an immediate message of God to His people whether the message is for a group gathered together, or any one of His people individually, through a divinely anointed utterance . The Greek word for prophecy, "propheteia," implies that one is speaking for another; speaking on behalf of God. We are exhorted to specifically desire to prophesy (1 Corinthians 14:1, 31)
Prophecy is designed by God to:
- Strengthen the Church (1 Corinthians 14:3).
- Encourage the Church (1 Corinthians 14:3).
- Comfort the Church (1 Corinthians 14:3).
- Instruct the Church (1 Corinthians 14:31).
- To affect unbelievers (1 Corinthians 14:24).
B. MANY KINDS OF TONGUES (1 Corinthians 12:10): Definition: The Gift of Tongues is the supernatural ability imparted by the Holy Spirit to speak to others and/or to God in a language or utterance never learned by the speaker.
There are two reasons for speaking in tongues:
- That The Gift of Tongues, when coupled with The Gift of Interpretation of Tongues, is equal to The Gift of Prophecy.
- The second reason for speaking in tongues is a prayer language directly to Father God (Holy Spirit praying mysteries and the will of God through us which sometimes is also praise going forth )which does not have to be interpreted.
C. THE GIFT OF INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES (1 Cor. 12:10):
Definition: The Gift by which God made understandable the mystery which was spoken/prayed in the Gifts of Tongues.
The word "interpretation" here is from the Greek "harmeneia" meaning "explanation" or "full interpretation". It is the ability through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to bring understandable meaning to an inspired public message in tongues. Interpretation can occur in congregational meetings or even in private prayer where you pray in tongues and the Holy Spirit gives you the meaning of what your prayed which gives you clear direction. We can pray and interpret the will of the Father for our lives.
I think this subject is so important and critical right now that we will continue it next week.
Prayer Points: Father in Jesus Name I want everything you have for me & I want to be used in your Kingdom, so allow your gifts to be manifested in my life!